Sign up for our Newsletter
“Your self-image sets the boundary for your individual achievement”
– MAXWELL MALTZ , Author of the bestselling book on Self-Image, Psycho-Cybernetics.
You can’t outperform your self-image. The key to improving your performance relies not so much in what you do but in what you think of yourself.
Everyone has a self-image problem but they don’t like to admit it.
A poor self-image creates doubts and causes procrastination, which turns into fear and you get stuck.
For years I struggled with my self-image and kept making the same mistakes over and over trying to get it right. If you’re stuck, keep reading and I will show you how to develop and improve your self-image using a formula I created that helped me with my own self-image.
Your Self-Image Has Two Parts!
There are 2 parts to your self-image; there is the part that you show to the outside world in the way you act, the way you talk and the way you dress. Then there is the image you hold on the inside, the way you see yourself, the convictions you have about yourself and the strengths and weaknesses you believe you possess.
Did you ever have someone give you a compliment or they told you how gifted they thought you were or how great you were at something?
Or maybe someone told you they saw something in you and that you had huge potential? How did that feel to you?
When we hear these things it feels strange, almost foreign. See, if you were criticized and abused like I was, you grow up with a negative self-image. If you grew up with lots of praise, validation and love then you have a positive self-image. You either have one or the other.
When someone praises you, how does it feel?
If it feels uncomfortable then you need to work on that. Sometimes you might feel like, “Ya, maybe I can do that or maybe I do have a gift” but your self-image tells you it’s not true.
Oftentimes others see in you your true potential but your negative self-image convinces you it’s not true. If someone says they see something in you and there is a feeling it might be true, it probably is. Don’t let your negative self-image convince you it’s a lie.
You Can’t Outperform Your Self Image
Everyone has a self-image problem!
What do I mean by that? Well, your results in your life are in direct proportion to your self-image. So, if your income is stuck at a certain level, or if you’re living in an unhealthy body or you keep attracting the wrong type of people in your life, it means your self-image is not in harmony with what you really want.
If you want to improve any area of your life you have to see yourself as the person you want to become.
Your inner self-image has to be in sync with the outer image you are portraying. Easier said than done, right?
The Self-Image Formula
You can create your own self-image to become the person you want to be. It’s time to become the person you want to be or have the courage to be the person you really are.
Here is my 6 step Self Image Formula:
- Take inventory of the agreements you have made with yourself. How do you see yourself, how do you feel about yourself? What were you told about yourself when you were young? What have you told yourself about yourself? What are your strengths and weaknesses? Write out these questions and write out the answers. Don’t just run this through your mind – writing causes thinking!
- Think of someone you admire and list their positive qualities and characteristics. Make a list of the things you like and then write out the following question and answer it. How do you want to be known as? When someone describes you like you have above, what do you want someone to write about you? Now remember, don’t do this to please anyone but you. This is not about being liked or accepted or being approved by others. This is about who you really want to be!
- Create a character description of the real you – the new you! It’s time to be a star in your own movie. Think of your favourite movie. If you met the actor who played the lead role in that movie you would see that they “became the character”. They acted like the person they wanted to become by rehearsing over and over until they appeared on screen and you saw them as that character.
- Act like the person you want to become! What can you do today that you would do if you were the person you want to become? For example if you were financially free, what would you do? Start small, but start acting like the person you want to become. Maybe you want a new car? Walk into the dealership and test-drive your dream car. When you walk in, act like you can pay cash for it. Act “as if” and watch what happens. The way you act determines how people view you and respond to you. So, if you start acting like you are financially free, people will respond to you that way and it will make you “feel” that way.
- Do something that makes you feel good about being you. What’s something you can do that makes you feel good about you? I was asked that question and I couldn’t answer it. But then I thought, I always wanted to go to the movies by myself but I was self-conscious about going on my own. When I first went I was really nervous because I was wondering what people would be thinking about me. Guess what? They weren’t! When I began going on a regular basis it made me feel good about being me because I felt more confident! Now if I need a confidence boost I go do something on my own.
- Re-program your beliefs! You can re-create your self-image the same way your self-image was formed. Repetition of affirmations with orders and instructions to your sub-conscious mind will create a new healthier, wealthier and happier you. Create a short, concise written statement of the new you, the real you and read it over and over and over and one day, not to long from now you’ll wake up a different person!
The key to a better life lies in you!
You have unlimited potential but your limiting beliefs that you have about yourself simply aren’t true and they are holding you back. If you sit down and evaluate your beliefs you’ll discover many of them aren’t true and the only way to change your beliefs is to evaluate them. Your beliefs drive all of your behaviour and when you change your beliefs about you, everything changes!
Start living the life you were intended to live!
Other Featured Articles
Receive Doug Dane's articles, event invitations and podcasts in your inbox monthly